12 January 2010

Is the end coming?

It seems since the beginning of this millennium, it has been full of apocalyptic talk. We've had Y2K, the religious right screaming the end is coming, increased terrorism, economics failures, global warming, and 2012 rhetoric. The history channel no longer shows history, it focus its lineup on Armageddon oriented shows, e.g. the Nostradamus Effect, Life After People, and several (feels like hundreds) 2012 specials. Are we really on the brink of civilization? This is inevitable; as we all know, all civilizations fall. Are we about to entire a new dark age? Or is this just a bunch of people screaming for attention?

It seems that things do not look good, this we know for sure. Our built to fail monetary system is on the brink of collapse. At this point we can only prolong its existence. I doubt we can get out of the debt we've put ourselves. We have less money in circulation, than what we owe. The oceans are rising. The Maldive Islands will most likely not see the next century. It doesn't matter whether humans are the main cause to global warming, or if we had little to no influence, it is real. The planet is warming up, the Arctic is thawing, and the oceans are rising. 2008 was the first year, on record, that humans did not grow enough food to feed everyone on the planet. In past years we had enough food, it just didn't make it those who need it. Now there is not enough food. We are beginning to run out of fresh water. Corporations are trying to privatize it, so they have control of the resource when it comes scarce. Israel's settlements in Palestine are based on areas that known to have deep water wells. Terrorist groups are growing, and attacks are continuing to increase. America is now involved in 3 wars Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. We have started to covert operations in Yemen, and are planning a surgical strike in Iran. China is starting to flex her foreign policy muscle, executing a British citizen, and testing defensive missiles in response to American arms sales to Taiwan. A country China wants back.

This isn't everything that's going badly, just what I have off the top of my head. We've also had the horrible Tsunami, Katrina, and other horrible natural disasters. And there's more still. Should we be preparing for the worst? I'm not saying this is going to happen over night, like the Y2K predictions. What I want to know is if the natural disasters are to continue, and the terror attacks with increased war responses get worse, will we still have infrastructure in 2050?

I think about his stuff a lot. I'm at a turning point in my life. I don't know if I should continue down the road of academia and see if I can help fix things through education. Or if we should ban together, start a self-sustaining community and just be ready.

What do you think? I'm not sure how many people read this. So this might be asking a blank wall, but leave me a comment about what you think. Am I just letting the "what ifs" eat me alive? Or is civilization heading downward?

(Click the title above for a short video supplied from disinformation.)

3 comments:

  1. You are letting the "what if's" get to you a little...I am wholly consumed by them...I have dedicated my life now to being ready to act as quickly and effectively to the possibility of the world going to hell quickly as I believe it is going to happen within my lifetime. All I can say is keep your eyes open and get prepared for chaos...you may survive long enough to die in a glorious fashion of some sort lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should band together. Make a societal compound of people who are like minded. I grew up drinking goat milk, eating beef and pork we raised and slaughtered. What we grew is what we ate. We canned everything. It wasn't a long period of my life, but it was enough I remember it. Most people have no idea what that means. A catostrophic event would leave the majority of us in the dark. Even if we think we can do it, it should start now. We have to learn to not be dependant on luxuries, but necessities. Life isn't going to be boring or less enjoyable; it would be rewarding to do our part, to know were right with Mother Nature. It's more than recycling and buying organic. That has become just as fashionable as kids wearing peace sign t-shirts or a Beatles t-shirts but have no idea the meaning of love and why it makes the world go 'round. I like what you have to say Daniel, I had no idea the depth of thought you were capable of, lol. My life is consumed by what if's. Kaye Leigh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't forget peak oil!!! look up the hubbert curve.
    I am down for the compound. let's sail away in a fleet of earthships.

    ReplyDelete